Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities

Fairness | Honesty | Respect | Responsibility | Trust

What are the University’s Core Values?
The UNCG community ensures a peaceful and productive living and learning environment based on the University’s five core values of honesty, trust, fairness, respect, and responsibility.

What are my rights as a student under the Student Code of Conduct?
Students have the right to a fair and timely hearing, knowledge of accusations, the opportunity for support from the Student Attorney General’s Office, representation by a licensed attorney or non-attorney advocate in non-academic cases at their own expense, and confidentiality under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

Does the Student Code of Conduct apply to my behavior off campus?
Yes. Students become subject to the terms of the Code after accepting admission to UNCG whether they are on or off-campus.

What is the difference between Conduct violations and Contractual violations?
Contractual violations refer to violations of the Housing Contract. For example, a noise or guest visitation is a violation of the housing contract and will be handled by the Office of Housing and Residence Life. All contractual violations are violations of the Student Code of Conduct and are subject to adjudication by the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities. Conduct violations are any violation of the Student Code of Conduct.

What is a Student Conduct Conference (SCC)?
At the SCC, students have an opportunity to discuss the incident and charges with a conduct officer. The SCC allows the accused student to ask questions, accept or deny responsibility for conduct charges, and make decisions about how the student intends to proceed with the case.

What is a conduct review?
During the conduct review, the hearing officer will have a conversation with the student(s) about the incident. They will discuss how the incident happened, why it happened and the likelihood of the behavior happening again. Following this conversation, sanctions are assigned that are designed to help the student learn from the experience.

What is a hearing and what will take place?
A hearing is held before a hearing officer or hearing panel. During this time, participants engage in a full discussion of charges, evidence, and circumstances. Students will have the opportunity to share their perspective on what happened. If the Student Code of Conduct has been violated, appropriate educational sanctions will be assigned.

Who will handle my case?
The Case Coordinator prepares the University’s case for presentation to the hearing officer or panel. A Student Advisor is a representative from the Student Government Attorney General’s Office who will assist the accused student(s) in preparation and presentation of the information. The Hearing Officer is a University administrator who facilitates the proceedings and determines sanctions in hearing officer hearings. A trained panel of students, faculty, and staff will hear more serious cases and all Academic Integrity cases.

If I accept responsibility, how will I find out what to do next?
Your conduct officer will assign sanctions and send you an electronic notice concerning the resolution of the charges. There will be names of individuals you will need to contact and descriptions and deadlines of sanctions you must complete. It is important that you take responsibility for staying in contact with our office during the process.

Will I be given an opportunity to present evidence on my behalf?
Yes. The hearing officer will allow evidence if it is relevant to the case.

May I appeal the decision?
Yes. All appeals must be submitted via online Notice of Appeal Form within three (3) business days of the finding to the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities. The appeal must allege a violation of: 1. Procedural Standards; and/or 2. Substantive Standards.

If criminal charges are dropped can the University still pursue the matter?
Yes, the University may pursue conduct action even if the criminal charges are incomplete, reduced, or dismissed. The University conduct system is educational and completely separate from the criminal court system.

How does the University define possession of a controlled substance (alcohol and illegal drugs)?
“Possession” is defined as having actual knowledge of a substance or property or being in such close proximity to the substance that it is presumed that the student(s) had knowledge of the substance or property. If you are in the presence of a policy violation and are not actively involved, you have three choices: 1) leave the situation; 2) ask the student(s) to stop the behavior and/or take it out of the room; or 3) seek assistance from a University staff member (RA or UNCG Police). If you choose not to do any of the above, you can be held responsible for the policy violation.

Who will have access to my records?
Conduct Records are maintained in the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities. They are accessible to the accused and others as provided by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA).

Will my parents find out about this?
Under UNCG’s Student Code of Conduct, parents/legal guardians of dependent students under the age of 21 are advised of student misconduct involving alcohol or drugs.

Will there be a conduct record even if I am found not responsible?
Yes, records are created for all student cases in which charges are alleged. If you are found “not responsible” the records will reflect that finding. However, this is not a reportable student conduct record.

How long will a conduct record be maintained if I am found responsible?
Records are created and expunged according to the Student Records Policy. Under the Student Records Policy, the file will be purged eight years after the incident. Expulsions are maintained permanently in the student’s conduct record.

What is a sanction?
Sanctions are consequences or penalties assigned if you are found responsible of a violation of the Student Code of Conduct or Academic Integrity Policy which are intended to help the student learn about the repercussions of behavior that is a violation of the Code and make better choices in the future. Sanctions are based on the student’s intent to act, prior experience, or violations or related behavior.

Will I have to pay for the substance information program and/or substance abuse assessments?
Yes, you are required to cover expenses related to your sanctions.

What if I am withdrawing from the University?
If a student withdraws from the University with a pending conduct/academic integrity violation or without completing the requirements of the process (i.e., failure to fulfill a sanction), a “Hold” will be placed on the student’s records. This “Hold” prevents, among other things, registration, enrollment, or the awarding of a degree.

I can’t finish my sanction by the deadline. What should I do?
Contact the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities immediately to discuss your options. Failure to complete the sanctions within the specified period of time without contacting the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities will result in non-compliance and could lead to a “hold” being placed on your records, separation from the University, or other conduct actions.